Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Freedom of Living Snack Free


Before I made the commitment to limiting food to three meals a day, every day there was a steady stream of choices I would need to make about what to eat.

Pastries shared with co-workers, afternoon treats, before dinner tidbits, midnight snacks.

Each one of these choices took time and energy to weigh whether the choice was worth the consequence. The consequence of trading my desire to lose weight for the instant gratification of whatever morsel was being offered or scavenged.

Now, I find that I have so much less to think about when it comes to food. If I want something between meals, I think about waiting and having it with my next meal. This means I don't have to adopt an all or nothing approach to foods.

My goal with each meal is to focus on eating a healthy balance of protein, complex carbohydrates and fat. As a creature of habit, this means most of my lunches have consisted of whole wheat bread with a little turkey or avocado and unlimited veggies and mustard or vinegar (hold the oil or mayo).

My breakfasts are a small piece of homemade whole wheat toast with an egg (or two) and sometimes a slice or two of bacon.

Dinner as always is chef's choice. My husband is very supportive of my goals and he has been making salads, and cutting back on the portions this week.

Immediately following dinner I have a single piece of dark chocolate.

Other than my morning cup of coffee with a splash of whole milk, the only thing I am drinking is water - sometimes embellished with lemon slices, fresh ginger, or honey, but mostly just plain hot or iced water.

Giving me hours to contemplate the world beyond my food and weight issues.

It feels so good to know I am on the right path and that I can achieve my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment